Friday 9 December 2011

Refurbishing the Saloon.

Refurbishing the Saloon.
     This story begins in Peakes yard where we need protection from the sun, I look around for a suitably priced canvas worker.  This is for some new hatch covers to match /blend with the Bimini.  Kay came to take measurements and gave me a reasonable quote, then returned a week later with the goods.  A nice new set of hatch covers to replace the now well weathered and now mouldy ones I had made in the Azores.  I was so impressed I asked her for a quote to do the Saloon, this agreed we then went to choose and buy the fabric.  Malcolm left the pattern to me and to cut a long story short this is the end picture! Naturally we keep the dust covers over the seats to try and keep them looking new and maybe next year I will have a go at doing these too.
      After the success of the Saloon I bit the bullet and decided to put new curtains up, (and make them myself!) this involved choosing and buying the fabric - soo cheap here only £24 for 8 yards (no metrication here yet). The shop had sales assistants and measurers to check the customers calculations– except he was working in feet & inches and I had measured in centimetres… after he had found a tape measure with both on it he then understood that the curtains I wanted to make were not the usual room size he is used to checking…. Undeterred he was prepared to have a go.  He really wanted to sell me 20 yards but I stressed that I would probably only need 6, we agreed on 8 which gave me room for mistakes and cushions
Anyway, it was a steep learning curve and I’m sure that if any of you sewers  had been around you would have helped me make a better job! at a quick glance they look ok -if home made and not very professional even though I used a template to make them all the same hems etc. Hey ho I'm nearly finished but out of header tape, and all my pins are bent with going through the machine with such a thickness of material.  I broke 8 needles by accident while catching a pin and a rod -stiffener.  Now I have a fellow boater who is going to adapt my machine to take the big packets of non singer needles so that I have a new supply.   Only minor adjustments were needed to sort the sewing machine out and a big THANKS to Ray & Irene (C-Drifters) who spent time helping.  I should also Thank Vicky (Cinnamon Teal) for sorting out the tension for me.  I have now really learnt a great deal about sewing machines—I just need to remember it all.

No comments: