Sunday 6 June 2010

Baia da Formosa Santa Maria Acores

One thing I miss since leaving Darby Green is the lack of Garden so I have been cultivating pictures and scenes from our walks to watch in my old age. Santa Maria has a huge variety of indigenous flora. All my favourites Canna,Ginger,a white Tiger Lily which looks like an Amaryllis—no sign of Lily beetles here though. Nasturtiums and morning Glory are rampant on most mountainsides. If I have wrongly identified any then please use the comment facility on the blog to correct me. Flora are to be found in a separate folder on Picasa (hopefully it is public)


View Larger Map


which can also be found on Picasa with the images.
This was supposed to be a short walk to a nearby bay (HA!) It turned out to take 3 hours and was quite hilly, the up side was that as we passed a house with the dogs loose they decided to accompany us. They were overjoyed to be taken on a walk and made the most of it . They knew all the local fields, covering far more kilometers than I did. Fortunately we were able to persuade them to rest up in their own back garden when we got there! We took the main road back to Vila de Porto which was less hilly and a little longer. Altogether a very satisfying walk.

No comments: